If you’re using Twitter for professional networking, most experts recommend that your username should contain both your first and last “real” names. Why? Because the social web is so bustling that most new acquaintances can scarcely remember your first name – let alone tie a random Twitter nickname together with an icon + your “real” credentials.
However: short & descriptive “hybrid” nicknames can sometimes work better than a long, difficult real name.
But using your first and last name isn’t always possible every situation. What if your first and last name are too long? Or what if someone else has already taken your exact match Twitter name?
Don’t fret and sweat over it too much! Twitter allows underscore (“_”) characters and numbers in your username if you need them. There’s also plenty of possible good twitter names with strictly alphabetic characters that are easy to type and remember. Just browse through Twitterholic’s Top 1000 Twitter users and you can many find people who have built a hugely successful presence using some kind of variation on their real name on Twitter.
Twitter Username Ideas
1. Your First and Last Name, Separated by an Underscore
2. Your Full Name + A Middle Initial
3. Your First Initial + Your Last Name
4. Your First Name + Last Initial (or phonetic syllable)
5. Your Name + A Number
6. Your Name + A Description of Your Career or Specialty
7. A Nickname Based on a Derivative of Your Real Last Name
8. Add a Modifier Implying Authenticity
9. Add a Title
10. A Pun or Rhyme Based on Your Real Name
11. A self-identifying block ( “I” or “I am”) or Question + Your Name
12. Your Name with a Underscore Preceding or Appending It.
(Be careful with this last one – as Twitter spammers sometimes add _underscores_ to imitate the identity of popular users. Some people may see this name as less credible.)
As you can see, some of the most famous rockstars and celebrities use modifications of their real name. A good Twitter username can help your brand — but ultimately, the quality of your content + your charisma + the consistency of your social media presence matter most of all!
Get a FREE Website Evaluation!
Brett Borders, the author of this article, is a professional copywriter who specializes in increasing website sales and signup rates. I'm available now to write for your website and optimize it for maximum sales and profits. Please contact me now for a free consultation.